To everyone reading this post, hello and welcome to my blog! 🍿
You probably don’t know me yet, but with the The Student Elections voting week happening soon, I’m going to take this post to tell you a few things about me and my vision as your future VP Welfare & Community at The University of Portsmouth.
Before I come back with some more content, you can read my manifesto below and tell me your thoughts in a comment or contact me directly – whatever works for you. After all, this is
as much about me as it is about you.
I’m Anca and I’m running for VP Welfare and Community for 2018/2019.
I came to Portsmouth in 2011 to study a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism with Media Studies. After two years of working in publishing in London, I returned to continue my studies with a Master’s in Marketing.
Studying and working full time, I know firsthand how rewarding yet challenging university can be. I believe I now have the experience and vision to represent the student community, and give back to a place that has shaped me into who I am.
If elected my focus for the year will be on:
IMPROVING SUPPORT SERVICES, to reduce the number of students dropping out due to poor mental health.
- Increase funding to the Student Wellbeing Service to ensure an open-door policy with longer drop-in sessions, shorter waiting times, and mandatory inductions.
- Develop an efficient Live Chat online counselling service for more students to be supported all year round, even when off campus.
- Provide students with the opportunity to be trained in mental health first aid by partnering with MHFA England, and create a student-led counselling service.
STRENGTHENING RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE COMMUNITY, to make the transition to university easier through creating a sense of belonging.
- Design a comprehensive welcome pack containing information about Portsmouth’s culture, recreational activities, and everyday essentials.
- Work closely with societies to promote film nights and games sessions for students of different backgrounds to come together.
- Create a website for students to offer their services to the community, and for members of the community to hire students based on course, skills, and experience.
I am using this opportunity as a trigger for building myself through building my community, so feel free to reach out with any questions or suggestions, and vote Anca #1.
(Can I just say how much I hate writing / saying “vote Anca #1”? Because I do. But since we’re here, I just want to let you know that you can also vote for me as your #2 option if your friend is running and you owe them / I haven’t convinced you, and you haven’t emailed me to give me a chance.)
I’d love to hear your thoughts on what you’d need the university to improve in the following year. You can also keep up with my campaign by following me on here, on Facebook, on Twitter, or on Instagram.